“Google has profoundly changed the way it shows search results.”
Learn how our SEO techniques meet Google’s new quality requirements.
Watch the video.
Four successive Google Search algorithm updates profoundly changed how Search results used to be displayed on Google’s first page:
2011: Google Panda update banished websites with thin or low-quality content from Top Google search results
2012: Google Penguin update got rid of websites disrespecting Google Webmaster Guidelines by acquiring spam links from low quality domains
2013: Google Hummingbird update ushered in the age of “semantic search”. Conversational content, context and using long-tail keywords are now the right way to do SEO.
2016: Google Core algorithm update : Pages containing 3000+ words of quality content, pictures and a video are King. And so are pages geared toward user intent : bounce rates and time on site have become ranking factors.
The NEW World of Quality SEO
Here is what works in the New World of SEO – and we have business cases to prove it!:
- Publishing quality content based on proven Content Frameworks
- Promoting content with the objective to obtaining Contextual Backlinks
- Using techniques that entice people to Share Exceptional Content
“In a nutshell, what works today is a combination of strategies and techniques aiming at publishing exceptional content based on a variety of content frameworks with the objective to obtain quality backlinks from authoritative websites – websites that are contextually related to your industry or service sector.” Whaaaa? Say again!…
Ok, let’s try and take the complexity out of the equation. I will explain step-by-step exactly how we do SEO.
For those who are interested, the SEO strategies and techniques that we follow are all based on real-life experiences that have been developed, tested and refined by one of today’s top SEO minds : Brian Dean from Backlinko.com. While we credit Brian for his brilliant SEO work, we do take credit for adapting some of his best techniques to the specific requirements of our agency clients – the results speak for themselves. So, let’s jump right into it:
Content Frameworks – What are they and why are they so important?
A Content Framework is simply content, packaged in such a way that it becomes irresistible for readers, content creators, and website owners to link back to your content and share it with others. Obtaining backlinks from relevant websites is one of the most powerful, sure-fire ways to achieve top rankings in Google . This is because each link pointing to a relevant page on your website is equivalent to an ‘up-vote’ for that content on your website – and the more up-votes you get, the higher your Google ranking will become. True, it’s a bit oversimplified, but I think you get the idea.
Content frameworks become even more important if they contain the share triggers that appeal to the “link creators” in your industry—people who are going to link to the content. Several researches have proven that your readers experience many micro-emotions when they engage with your content, and some of these emotions prompt them to share your content. So the question then is, what makes people share content?
Share Triggers—Why people share content
The “share triggers,” or factors that induce people to share content online include:
Utility—How practical is your content for your readers? Recipes are highly practical, so they are the most frequently shared type of content.
Length—Lengthy pieces of content are linked to more often, because a long article providing real value inspires the ‘awe factor,’ compelling people to share your content.
Recall value—Your content has utility and the right length, but does it contain anything that sticks to the reader’s memory? There are many quality articles out there, but very few of them are memorable.
Positive emotions—Content that triggers positive emotions is shared more often than the content that contains negative emotions.
Storytelling—Nobody likes to read a sales pitch. Everybody likes to read and tell (share) stories.
Social currency—Does sharing your content make the link creator look good? For example, let’s say you are a strong proponent of vegan diet. If you come across an article that says vegetarianism leads to longer life, you’re likely to share it because it makes you look good.
Using Content Frameworks to Create Power Pages
We employ innovative techniques to build a Content Framework that contains powerful share triggers. Using these frameworks, we create Power Pages for our clients, pages of content that keep getting you more and more natural back-links with each passing day!
Here are the Content Frameworks that we use to build share-triggers into your Power Pages.
1. Skyscraper Framework
The Skyscraper Framework follows a simple 3-step model to take advantage of an already proven article in your niche, a piece of content that has generated a large number of links and shares. We apply this Framework in the following sequence:
- Find Linkable Content: We research your website and numerous other online resources to find out relevant content that has already generated many links.
- Create Even Better Content: In the second step, we create even better content on the topics that we selected. This we do by making it longer, more current, more detailed, and better designed.
- Promote the Content: This is the most crucial step during which we reach out to blog-owners, journalists, and content creators in your niche, urging them to link to your content.
The Skyscraper Framework is effective because the topics we select are already proven to work. Your link creators are already in those topics. And by making your content even better than the best piece of content that exists, you can score an even higher number of links.
2. Trademark Framework
The Trademark Framework is aimed at enhancing the Utility and Recall-value share-triggers in your content. The link creators are exposed to an insane amount of content every day, so they won’t even remember your content unless it is highly practical and contains the “Memory Glue” that sticks to their minds. The Trademark Framework includes a proprietary (or trademark) element that makes people remember your content and keep linking to it even years after you published it. This Framework also establishes you as an authority in your niche.
Here’s how we go about creating the Trademark Framework.
- Identify a Key Problem: This should be a common problem that your link creators care about. We research forums, blogs, social media, and websites to discover such issues.
- Identify Obstacles: After we’ve found the problem, we identify the obstacles that are causing that problem. There can be many, but we focus on just ONE obstacle after the other, with the aim to create content that breaks down that obstacle.
- Create a Solution: We create a unique solution to the problem by combining two common techniques in your industry. For instance, the Skyscraper Framework combines Internet research with email outreach.
- Brand the Solution: We coin a unique and catchy term to name the solution that we have devised. For example, “Skyscraper Framework” has more recall value than “link building through research and outreach
3. How-to Textbook Framework
This simple Framework focuses on the Utility and Social Currency triggers by presenting information about a key topic in an organized manner. The content produced under the Textbook Framework contains links to helpful articles on your own site or any other website. Here’s how we go about creating a How-to Textbook Framework for you.
- Pick the Right Topic: We research online to find the trending topics that appeal to the link creators in your niche.
- Break down the main topic into 7 to 10 sub-topics: These subtopics will become the chapters in the Guidebook that we create for you.
- Add Links to Resources in Each Chapter: We turn the sub-topics into content-rich chapters and insert links to 4 to 9 excellent resources in each chapter.
Example: How to make a website
4. Power Infographic Framework
We create powerful infographics that your link creators will love to imbed on their websites. Here’s the process we follow:
- Just as with other Frameworks, we pick the topic after extensive research and give it a unique angle.
- Next, we research relevant facts and figures from across the Internet as well as paid sources.
- After collecting data, we create a wire frame and share it with you for improvements and approval
- Finally, we design and publish the infographic and promote it like crazy using the Infographic Technique.
Example: Men’s dress code
5. Experts Manual Framework
The content we create using the Experts Manual Framework contains bite-sized opinions of dozens of experts in your industry. Because we curate knowledge from multiple big names, the content has a very high Utility share-trigger. The high perceived value of the content dramatically increases the number of shares and back-links that such content generates. Here are the steps that we follow:
- Find out the topic for your Experts Manual
- Find experts in your industry who specialize in our topic
- Craft the right questions to ask the experts
- Reach out to the experts for the answers to the questions
- Transform the experts’ answers into a blog post
- Inform the experts when we have published the post
- Send the post to experts who did not participate the first time
This is an example of an Experts Manual video produced for one of our clients:
5 Examples of Power Pages that have Gone Viral (and boosted SEO rankings)
6. The Mentor Framework
The Mentor Framework works like the Trademark Framework that we discussed above, except that in the Mentor Framework, you do not take the credit of creating the solution yourself. Instead, you create a “Hero” figure, and attribute the solution to that Hero. You, the content creator, become the “Mentor” in this Framework. We deploy this Framework when creating Case Study type of content, building the share-trigger of Storytelling into the content.
- Find results that your business has achieved for a customer
- Map out the process that your “Hero” followed to achieve those results
- Based on our findings, we create your Mentor Formula case study
7. Step-by-step Video Framework
This Content Framework works like the How-to Textbook Framework, except here, we “show” your customers how to solve a particular problem instead of just telling. Video is one of the most highly shared types of content, because a video can contain a large number of strong share-triggers. Watching a video creates the “awe factor” that compels your audience to share it. It also makes the Link Creator look good, increasing their Social Currency. Here’s how we go about it:
- Research a topic that your Link Creators are interested in
- Break down the topic into multiple stages or learning modules
- Create a series of step-by-step professionally produced How-to videos
- Include high-authority material and references in each video
- Create a comprehensive video How-to Guide on a single page of your site
- Promote, promote, promote
Example: How to build your own deck
Content promotion and Link Building
Creating a Power Page for your business is only half the job. The other crucial half pertains to promoting your content to the Link Creators in your industry. For this, we deploy six kickass techniques that make more and more people link to your content. Here they are:
1. Content Curator Link Building Technique
It’s a simple technique that involves reaching out to your Link Creators via email. We use this technique analytically to find out the already published articles that could be linked to the Power Page we created using the Content Frameworks. Next, we reach out to the creators or owners of those articles, offering them to link to your Power Page.
2. The Renovation Link Technique
Sometimes, the changes in technology can render links obsolete. For instance, many old articles may be still linking to other articles that contain outdated data. In the Renovation Link technique, we identify outdated links on the important Link Creator websites in your industry. Then, we approach those websites with more current content, which contains updated stats and enriched info. This technique is even more effective than the Content Curator approach, because it offers tons of value to your Link Creator websites. You won’t believe the number of natural, high-value links that we’ll build for you using the Renovation Link Technique.
3. The Add-On Content Technique
We find out top-quality content in your niche, content that has been heavily linked to. Then, we look for ways to enrich it even further. We may produce a infographic, illustration, explainer article, etc. Next, we reach out to the Link Creator with our proposed improvement. After getting their go-ahead, we produce the enrichment and ask them to link to it. The result is that you get a link back from one of the most highly shared articles in your industry! A variation of this technique involves finding out high authority websites or blogs that run highly read weekly or monthly roundups. We reach out to them with a compelling content that will give you a valuable back-link from a top quality site.
4. The Infographics Technique
Here are the approaches we adopt to promote the Power Infographics that we create for you.
- Create an Exclusive: This technique involves identifying authoritative sites in your niche and offering them a unique and exclusive Power Infographic to imbed on their sites.
- Target Sources: The data in your infographic may come from many different sources. After creating the infographic, we reach out to all these sources and thank them for the data that we have used. This makes them very likely to imbed your infographic on their sites or link to it from their article.
- Follow the Leader: In this technique, we find relevant sites in your niche that have already imbedded infographics about your topic. We use Google’s Image Search to find all such websites and contact them with the infographic that we created for you.
- Intrographic: Many of your link creators may be hesitant to share your infographic because they don’t have the right introduction to go with it. In this technique, we offer custom text intro along with the infographic to website owners. This significantly increases the chances that they will use your infographic and give you the valuable back-link that you need.
5. The Broken Link Technique
The Broken Link Technique entails finding websites with great content about a topic of interest, but a link contained in their content points to a resource that no longer exists. We research such articles in your niche that have an odd link or two leading to a 404. Then, we reach out to the respective webmaster and offer to link to our client’s page instead. Of course, we have already created a Power Page, loaded with share-triggers. It’s an offer few webmasters can resist!
6. The Video Add-On Technique
The Video Add-on Technique is similar to the Add-on Technique that we discussed above. But here, we focus exclusively on video. We look for top-quality content in your niche that has been linked to hundreds of times (or more). Then, we look for ways to explain a particular aspect of that content with the help of a video. We pitch that site’s admin with our idea for the video and go ahead with the production after we receive the nod from them (and from our client, of course). The result is that you have a link to your video from one of the best resources in your industry.
7. The Moving Man Method
Similar to the Broken Link Technique, the Moving Man Method can be even more effective at generating tons of high-quality back-links. In this method, we research outdated resources in your industry— websites that have closed down or migrated to new domains, or articles that have become obsolete with the passage of time. In the next step, we find out the websites linking to that resource, and shortlist the best ones for pitching your Power Page, which we have already created by that time. Then, we offer those site owners to replace the links with links to a better, more current resource—your Power Page!
SEO in 6 steps
Last but not the least, you will find to the right the 6 steps that make up our internal SEO project cycle – right from the initial SEO Diagnostic Report, all the way to obtaining high-quality backlinks pointing to your website.
Had enough theory for today? Let’s head over to the business cases to show you what results we achieved with our SEO Techniques!